Monday, April 30, 2007

Leaving

I leave Namibia in 3 days.

How is it that my time has gone so quickly here?

There are some things that I will never forget:

~hot weather in the middle of "winter"
~Getting almost run-over by taxis that do not yield to pedestrians
~Sunsets
~The Namibian Sky that stretches endlessly
~Children laughing and waving at me
~Aunty Clara
~Walking everywhere...
~Being surrounded by hope


Today we had group presentations (one of our last assignments), and one of the group did a hunger meal, which is a simulation that divided our class of 20 into three groups--the wealthy, middle-class, and poor. I was "lucky" enough to be wealthy. Because of my status, I was served a full course meal. The middle-class was served a meal of veggie, rice, and some meat, while the poor was left to eat out of one pot of porridge (corn-meal mixed with water... it's quite similar to cream of wheat and comprises the diet of many people in poverty-stricken homes).

As part of the simulation, we, as the wealthy, were not allowed to share with the lower classes. While I felt guilty because I was eating fine and elegant foods while some near me were eating merely porridge, I did find myself thinking about how similar this is to real life sometimes...

In all reality, as an American college student, I am wealthy in so many ways. Sure, I do not have a new car waiting for me when I return to the US or a wardrobe full of designer clothes, but I do have so much in comparison to so much of the world. (over 60% of the world is living in poverty). I have access to clean water, education, health care, food, clothes, and even some additional money for travel and entertainment. And with all of this I find myself wondering how often am I able but unwilling to "share my full course meal with those eating only porridge?


Sometimes it is easy to overlook those who are less fortunate, but here in Namibia, I've seen it first hand day-in and day-out (especially at my internship) This semester has been an eye-opening blessing as I've found so many opportunities to serve here in many different ways. Yet, it is often so easy to fall into our routine and forget about those around us (or an ocean away from us) who are struggling to get by.

At the end of the hunger meal I certainly had my expected feelings of guilt, but I do not desire to let guilt get the best of me. When I allow guilt to truly rule my life, I am paralyzed and unable to do anything helpful. I believe that guilt is one of the main feelings that completely prevents us from positively impacting the lives of those around us. When we are overcome by guilt, we become so burdened with such heavy stones, that we cannot even get up and move towards our neighbor to extend a hand of assistance.

Instead of being burdened by guilt, I desire to be moved radically to serve

it is my hope and desire to respond to the needs of those around me
to be moved to love radically and fully
to be moved to find the people around me who are lost, lonely, hungry, and naked.
and to be inspired by the beauty of the people I meet along the way.

If one thing is for sure, I have seen such incredible joy and beauty among Namibians here that I will never forget.

I truly believe that we are created to love and serve one another, and it is when we are doing this that we find the most contentment and joy. I experienced a profound joy the day that I assisted Aunty Clara with her feeding program that fed over 75 young orphans and vulnerable children. I experienced profound love and peace when I gave a 7 year old orphan a piggy-back ride.

I hope and pray that we may find ways of ridding ourselves of guilt so that we are moved to find love, joy, peace, and hope in the people of this world. And I am confident that we will find this in the moments when we are able to serve.

No comments: