Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The last three weeks!

I returned from our trip to northern Namibia for our rural homestay, Etosha National Park, and southern Zambia to see Victoria Falls... and what an incredible three weeks it was!

I'm in a time crunch, but I wanted to share a couple highlights, and more (plus some pictures) is to come!!!

During my rural homestay I lived in a village that totally redefined simple living. We did not have electricity or running water, and all of our meals were cooked over a fire. I could only communicate with my 34 year old sister, as she was the only English speaker, yet I learned to communicate with my three and 5 year old newphews with lots of tickling and laughing. I also learned to appreciate sitting among Hereo (the particular Namibian trip) women as they wore their traditional dress and spoke in Otjiherero. I also learned to really appreciate going to bed with the sun and being blinded by the brillance of the stars at night. I will never forget these seven days that I spent in rural Namibia... nor will I forget the morning I was sitting by the fire writing in my journal when my host uncle brought over a goat and slaughtered it right before my eyes... and then 4 hours later we were eating grilled goat...

From there we went to Etosha and saw every African animal that I could imagine. I've decided that giraffes are my favorite because their necks are so long and awkward, but they are so cute nonetheless! At one point we saw 2 giraffes, an elephant, a hippo and some springbok, and it totally reminded me of scenes from the Lion King with all of the animals living in harmony.

Victoria Falls (except for the 17 hour bus ride to get there!) was incredible! It's high water season so the falls were big and powerful. SOme buddies and I went on an overnight canoe trip along the Zambazi river right along the Zimbabwe, Zamiba and Botswana borders. We ever saw hippos and elephants as we canoed!

Life is beautiful here and so are the people I am meeting. I look forward to sharing more, but I must go for now!

Peace and love

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Hey Kim!

I don't know how I missed the fact that you had a blog this entire semester! But I just saw that you updated on facebook and clicked on your blog and caught up on some of your adventures! It sounds like you're having a blast and really getting the most out of your experience.

I'm having a good semester up here in Morocco too! I'm on blogger too...http://heyimhannah.blogspot.com

Have a great week!

Hannah C.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kim,
I'm so glad you are having a great time in Namimbia! You were such a beautiful person before, and you are going to be so dazzling when you get back! DC is great! I leave in a week and a half, which is making me very sad. :( But you make me happy so it is all good!
Ann

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks